After almost a year in Canada, Rene and I had jobs, we owned a car and half a house and we were actually getting used to land life a little bit. We were seriously wondering what to do since our jobs weren't earning us enough to support the boat on the hard in Hawaii, plus
Canada, cruising or St. Maarten?
After almost a year in Canada, Rene and I had jobs, we owned a car and half a house and we were actually getting used to land life a little bit. We were seriously wondering what to do since our jobs weren't earning us enough to support the boat on the hard in Hawaii, plus all the land related expenses. Hmmm... Do we start a business? Do we buy a business? Do we try to restart the careers of our past? Do we go cruising again and just deplete our remaining investments? Do we go cruising again but find work somewhere? And with each of these options there came the question of what to do with either the boat or the car and half house (the other half being owned by my parents). Well, you can't really sell half a house if it isn't a completely separate residence unless you sell it to the owners of the other half and my parents had just invested the remaining money from the sale of their other house. Hmmm... To sell the boat we would be best off sailing it to New Zealand where there is demand for boats like ours. Hmmm ... there were many decisions to make including what we really wanted to do and where we really wanted to live. The world is a big place and most of our family is in Canada, but only half of our friends. The other half of our friends are all over the world. And were we really ready to swallow the anchor? We had come back for many family reasons and now all the events had taken place and the parents were settled in the new house.
One day Rene sent me a text message stating that Island Water World wanted to know if he was interested in working with them again, even though we'd settled back on land. It didn't take me long to formulate this answer, “Well, if their offer is good enough I think we should seriously consider this”.
To get to the point, we decided that living in St. Maarten would be an interesting compromise but I didn't want to live on land there. So now what? Sail to N.Z. and put the boat up for sale and rent an apartment until we can find a suitable boat? We looked at the availability and decided that we really do like the boat we have and even though getting her from Hawaii to St. Maarten was way longer than to N.Z. we could do it. Ahhh... but that's how far? 7,000 or so nautical miles and hurricane season to deal with. Will Island Water World wait that long? As luck would have it, some VERY GOOD friends of ours, who are cruisers we met in St. Maarten were cutting short their work in Majorca and very interested in seeing Hawai'i and the west coast of the United States and Mexico and the Panama Canal and were willing to do this with me (Cheryl) aboard Gypsy Blues. Also my Brother whom they had met when they sailed to Nova Scotia, and a knowledgeable sailor and new owner of a cruising boat wanted to join for a good portion of the trip, so the decision to go ahead and sail our home to its new home was made. St. Maarten here we come!